Monday, August 25, 2008

Tickle Me Elmo

Emery's Grandma and Auntie Silv bought her a Tickle Me Elmo last Christmas. A little early, but we all figured she would grow into it. I'm learning that she definitely takes some time to warm up to the stupid thing. (I'm sorry, am I supposed to actually like a bright red, talking, moving stuffed animal?)

Anyway, I got it out about a week ago and squeezed it's tummy so it would laugh, lay down and then sit itself up again. At first Emery just watched it and didn't know what to think. Then, I brought it closer to Emery and she freaked out. The closer it came to her, the more Emery freaked out and she kept pushing herself further from the Elmo.

Ivan got it out tonight and let it sit on the ottoman by Emery, not turned on. She kind of looked at it for a few minutes. Ivan then turned it on and Emery was ok for a few seconds, until she cried because she was scared. I picked her up and brought the Elmo closer to Emery. It was the funniest thing - she couldn't help but touch it, even through her fears. Every time she bent over to touch the Elmo she whimpered, but she still touched it. Once she touched it, she would turn her head to hide from it.

I think we will keep Elmo in the closet for a while longer (or just send it to Grandma's and Auntie Silv's for good) but it's good to know that Emery will face her fears at the ripe age of 9 1/2 months old.

1 comment:

Jodi Collins said...

Funny! Elmo is a little scary when he is laughing and falling over. That is a great story that now you will remember forever - thanks to your blog!