Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dance Class - Week One

I recently signed Emery up for dance classes. I wanted to find a way to get her interacting with other kids and I found a dance class that would work perfectly with my schedule. The first class was last night at 6p. I rushed out of work right at 230p (this never happens) so we could get home to get in a decent nap. We woke up from nap time, got into the cute little leotard, tights and skirt and headed off.

There were only 8 girls in the class and the teacher was great with them. However, Emery wouldn't let me leave the dance room during the entire 45 minute class. She also wouldn't leave my side and join the other little girls for the dance class. I expected her to struggle a little (she's also a tad young for the class/age group) but I figured she would warm up to it within the 45 minutes. She did start copying the teacher and other girls a couple of times during the class so we made a little progress.

Then, near the end, Emery said she had to go potty. As I was walking her out of the room - she peed her pants. She's had a few accidents lately and we are struggling with potty training regression. Then, as we get into the bathroom, Emery sees a fly which she is convinced is a bee. She starts screaming and crying because she is TERRIFIED of bees. There we were, in the bathroom, me trying to figure out the best way to get Emery home without me having a spare change of clothes and she's freaking out screaming and crying about the 'bee'. It was quite the bathroom experience to say the least! We finally got out of the bathroom and headed home.

So, week one of dance class wasn't the best experience, but we will keep at it. I'm hoping she will really warm up to dance classes in the next few weeks. My next plan of attack will be to have Ivan take her to see if she's more willing to participate. Needless to say, no pictures from this week - my plan was to take some once we got home. Stay tuned for pictures and an update on the dance class experience next week.

1 comment:

Jodi Collins said...

That is very cute and sad. By the way - I love the name Paisley. That was almost Saige's name - I also liked Pressley.