An opportunity came up for me to stay at the same pay grade, but to be able to work part time. I thought long and hard about this and whether or not I wanted to make the change. And actually, the position came up twice - the first time, I gave it a little thought, but never even discussed it with Ivan, it just crossed my mind for a few minutes. For months after the first position came up, I was kicking myself in the butt for not posting the first time. I was trying to figure out how to get Emery into preschool, and even how I would get her into kindergarten with me working 55-60 hours/week.
So, when the position came up a second time, I knew I had to go for it. I was lucky enough to be offered the position and started February 1st. Previously, I was working Monday-Friday, 55-60 hours/week and managing a department size of 100 people. Now, I work 29 hours/week, three days in the office and a half day at home and I'm only responsible for myself. I also have the flexibility to work at home more often when needed/wanted on my end. I've been able to get Emery into preschool 2 days/week and I've already made arrangements for when she will be in kindergarten 5 half days next year. It's huge change in my job responsibilities and while I do still miss what I was doing before, I am as happy as could be with the decision I made.
Financially, we have had to make a lot of adjustments to make it work. We cancelled cable (it's really not that bad with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu - yes, we are still a little spoiled and have all 3!), I now bargain shop for groceries and we actually have a budget that we live off of. I also had to start cleaning the house myself again - sad! But, in all honesty, I think we are in a better financial position now, since I've gotten a lot more focused on our finances and where our money is going.
I am absolutely loving being at home more and having the flexibility that I have with my schedule. I get to see the girls when they wake up and before they go to bed every single day. I make dinner at least 5 nights a week and we eat at the table as a family. The girls and Ivan are loving having me at home more and all of the good meals we are able to enjoy. The only challenge is that now Emery is used to me being at home, she hates the 3 days a week that I have to go to work. I'm grateful that my company had the opportunity available for me and that between all of us, my family was able to make the necessary changes for me to be able to go part time.
No comments:
Post a Comment