Tuesday, January 18, 2011

No Stamp for You

Emery has been in dance class for about 6 months now. When she first started, she wouldn't let me out of the dance room and was just attached to my hip. My whole reasoning for enrolling Emery in dance classes wasn't so she could learn to dance - it was to get her interacting with other kids and adults.

After I had Paisley, I decided to make a change. I called before class started to talk to the receptionist, Erika. I described myself as "Emery's Mom, Summer. You know, the one that has to sit in the dance room the entire class". She then knew who I was talking about. I told Erika that I wanted Emery to go into the dance room herself and Erika assured me that she would help Emery one on one until she got comfortable. Well, 15 minutes into the class, Emery was fine and participating in class. If only I had made the change sooner - oh well, that's the first time Mom in me right?

Anyway, at the end of every dance class, the teacher, Miss Amber, gives the girls a stamp on their hand. At one time or another, all of us Mom's have bribed out kids to go to dance class with the stamp. The stamp is a big deal.

During class yesterday, I looked into the room through the window and saw all 4 girls running in circles. I asked another Mom, "should they be running in circles? Is that what Amber has them doing?" The answer was no. The kids were being extra naughty.

Well, when class ended, the girls usually come out all excited to show off their stamps. Not this week. Every girl came out sad and with a pouty lip. No stamps! Amber decided that the girls were so naughty that they didn't get stamps. I guess there is a first for everything. I made Emery go in and apologize to Miss Amber for not behaving and we left. It's now been 24 hours since Emery missed out on the stamp and she's still sad about it. I bet she will behave during dance class next week.

No comments: