Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sleepy Paisley

I got home from work one night last week around 7:30p.  The girls and I were sitting at the table eating dinner (yes, dinner at 7:30p and it was McDonald's - oh well) and Paisley was already sucking her fingers, acting tired.  She normally goes to bed between 9-9:30p, so I just thought she was tired early.  About 30 minutes later, she was D.O.N.E so I got her ready for bed and put her down.  Shortly after that, I was making coffee for the next morning and saw a little white pill sitting on the kitchen counter.  I quickly look for the baggie of pills that I had and there were only 5 pills in the bag - I had left 10 of them.  I start freaking out on Ivan, asking him what happened to the rest of the pills.  He tells me that Paisley got into them and he helped her clean them up.  Ivan had no idea what the pills were, or how many were in the bag to begin with! Paisley was messing with the pills at least 2 hours before this happened.  So, I freak out, start googling poison control and tell them what happened.

Well, here's the beginning of the story.  I've been having trouble sleeping - I go through periods where I sleep good on my own, and then periods where I need help with sleep.  I've tried a lot of different things and my sleep aid of choice has been 2 Benadryl - every night.  Some friends at work have been talking to me about trying melatonin, so a friend gave me some, like 15 to try for a few nights.  I brought them home in a baggie and had them in the kitchen - well, Paisley got into them.  So, by the time I realized what had happened, there were about 10 melatonin missing.  I call poison control, I'm about a level 15 stress level, the guy on the phone is at a negative 15 stress level and just tells me not to worry and everything will be fine.  I wasn't quite sure whether or not to believe him.  So, I make a post on my baby board to get feedback from other mommies.  Well, it turns out 30 mg of melatonin for a 2 yr old is OK.  And, Paisley was still up the next morning at 8:30a, right on the dot.  So, a very scary moment for this mama, but luckily, it all turned out OK.  I learned my lesson on keeping pills in locked bottles, and Ivan learned his lesson to find out how many pills are missing and what they are if Paisley gets into them again (he damn well better have learned this lesson!).

1 comment:

Rachel Lovato said...

Scary! Glad everything turned out well! Did you say sucking her fingers? If you ever need a cure for that..I have the miracle solution.